Download from Suunto Gekko - procedure?

Long, Martin martin at longhome.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 01:24:45 PST 2015

On 5 January 2015 at 04:02, Linus Torvalds

> On Jan 4, 2015 5:50 PM, "Gary David" <gdavid at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> I came across your post this evening whilst looking for a simple
>> way to download the data off my ageing Suunto Gekko dive
>> computer. Is there a way to do this? If so, I would appreciate any
>> guidance you could provide as I am not that technical/a
>> programmer but am IT-literate!
>
> It's been some time since I had access to a gekko, but it should "just
> work".

As Linus says, it should 'just work' as far as the user mode
(application software) part goes, but you may have some challenges
depending on what cable and operating system you are using.

The info below is all based on USB cables. If you have serial then
there are no additional drivers needed anyway so that also should just
work.

If you're using Linux I don't expect you'll have any problems. For me
it just detected the cable correctly each time.

For Windows it can be a bit of a problem. The Suuto official cable
should work ok for Win XP -> Windows 8, as the DiveManager software
installs the signed driver for the cable.

If you're using the after-market cable from "Custom Idea", then you
need to install the driver from their website:
http://www.customidea.com/software_drivers.php?cPath=21 (note that
there is a different driver for different versions of the cable). Also
there are only instructions for Windows 7 as the driver is not signed
for Windows 8. It is possible to install it on Windows 8, but you have
to disable driver signature checking on boot.
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/disabling-driver-signature-on-windows-8/disabling-signed-driver-enforcement-on-windows-8

If you need any more help, please let us know what cable you are
using, what operating system (and version), and how far you are
getting, any error messages, etc, and someone here will be able to
help.