update on what's happening in master

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:53:17 PST 2015

> On 07 Jan 2015, at 12:50, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> Since FB is taking their time with getting back to us... I decided to ask
> Tomaz to work on a really cool UI for the CSV import dialog. I just pushed
> his massive amount of work to master and would like people to play with it
> (daily builds will be available fairly soon).

Excellent. Soon there will be no traces of my "GUI work" left. And everybody wins :D

> To use this you need a .csv file to import. You can easily create this by
> exporting a few of your dives to CSV.
>
> Then go to Import and select that file. You'll see the new UI that allows
> you to look at the data you are about to import (make sure you have picked
> the correct separator or this won't work). And then you can drag and drop
> the field names in the upper area to the top row in the spread sheet in
> the lower area. I find this super intuitive and really cool. Kudos to
> Tomaz for this initial implementation.
>
> Of course there are quite a few caveats right now:
>
> a) You'll notice that there are some discrepancies between the fields we
>   export and those we can import. I added divemaster which I immediately
>   noticed but then realized that there are more differences (suite,
>   rating, viz, tank data). So this part needs more work.

Preset Subsurface import has all these fields but there was no way to add them all into the old configurable UI. I might not have time during the next 2 weeks to improve the configurable import. Diving comes first.

> b) The preset types that we had in the old UI are still offered, but they
>   no longer populate the colums correctly. This will need to be added.

UI should be mostly ignored by these. At most, the field separator, unit and day format? are respected. Thus my first guess is that the xslt call is messed. Make sure you have correct file name. I'll try to take a peak into the new ui once not on the road (air).

> c) I can't get it to actually do the right thing, i.e. it doesn't import
>   things for me. I believe this worked for Tomaz so it's possible I broke
>   something when trying to do minor cleanups in the code. If someone has
>   the time to take a look at where this fails, that would be very nice
> d) I occasionally can get this to crash. I fixed a couple of situations
>   where this was easy to reproduce but I think there are more. If you can
>   find a reproduceable way to crash this (or make it behave incorrectly
>   in other ways), please post here so we can fix this.
>
> I'll admit that I'm really excited about this UI - I think this a very
> cool way to allow people to import from CSV - another highlight for 4.4
>
> As indicated above, FB is slow to respond, my next trip is coming up, so
> 4.4 is delayed until closer to the end of the month...

Then I should be able to do some real testing on DC import befor the release :)

miika