CSV import dialogue

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 02:36:28 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 10:21:19AM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> >
> > In other words: Open your eyes, willem. Thanks for opening them.
>
> :-)
>
> > The dialogue is working brilliantly. I have not managed to crash anything
> > yet. Tomaz needs a medal.
>
> He does. Actually, Anton and Miika need medals, too. They were so far
> ahead in the commit count for 4.4 that clearly Tomaz felt very motivated
> to work his <redacted> off over the weekend.

miika  blushes :D

> > The current tags only provide for dive-level information, not for
> > sample-level information within a dive.
>
> Correct. That's what we are trying to do here.
>
> > I am looking at CSV imports of APD CCR dives. We should provide tags for
> > most or all the members of the plot_data structure. But I suppose this
> has
> > been planned right from the start.
>
> NO, NO, NO, and absolutely HECK NO.

Totally agree. When we have a well defined format that we know about, there
really is no need for GUI for the import, just select the format and be
done with it. It is so much easier to just write a custom XSLT for that
format and import whatever seems reasonable. E.g. on some formats we have
to do specific math for the values or skip 20 to 35 lines before the actual
data starts.

I do not see any value in letting users customize the known formats as the
import is already defined by ourselves as well as we are able to support
that.

miika