Logging of oxygen sensor data for PSCR

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 05:58:12 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> 1) It looks like the existing data structure can handle most or all of the
> information you mention. One could store measured po2 in
> data->o2sensor[].mbar, later transfered to plot_data->o2sensor[].mbar. The
> calculated values following formulas can be stored in in
> plot_data->pressures.o2. At face value I would not expect any problems.

Nice

> 2) Robert Helling has been involved with writing planning code for PSCR for
> some time now. I do not know exactly how far he is but I know he is at an
> advanced stage. If there is any code writing for logging PSCR dives, I would
> request (almost insist) that he should be part of the initiative so that the
> PSCR interface is unified.

I remember Robert posted here an example of oxygen drop calculation.
During the last few months I read severalv times of PSCR dive
management but I guess they were postponed because not of interest for
many.

Reading the result of the user survey posted by Dirk we discovered an
unexpected strong adoption form tech community.
Actually as user, reading this mailing list I see nearly zero feedback
from users about the most useful features to implement.
Most of features arise from the unshakable power of will of Subsurface
developers :)

> 3) The Poseidon CCR development is coming close to its end for the
> immediate, the only significant remaining aspect is dealing with bailouts.
> Dealing with Shearwater is likely to be a follow-up activity, starting
> development around April. There are a number of challenges to get this done,
> but maybe the PSCR code could be included in these activities??

This is for developers :)

My two cents on this:

As a full dedicated PSCR diver, when someone will have the will to
support PSCR on Subsurface, my suggestion is a two smaller steps
development:

- Plotting of O2 pressure graph coming from a sensor if available.

- Plotting of estimated current O2 pressure via the ox drop formula.

The combination of the two graph is the heaven of a PSCR diver and
IMHO would be king during training lessons to explain how these units
work.

Bye

In the meantime i can live with the current Subsurface because PSCR
dives are exactly the same as OC dives: a PSCR is simply a gas
extender.

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos