testing of download from divecomputer needed

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jan 11 10:40:30 PST 2015

> On Jan 11, 2015, at 10:14 AM, David Tillotson <david at acmelabs.co.uk> wrote:
>> Yep, same bug as Miika. I just pushed the fix.
>> This had nothing to do with the download UI change. It was Robert's
>> latest patch set that broke things.
>
> That does indeed now work. I have tried everything I can to cause
> problems for the download, and only found one - if I break the
> connections (easily done on the Reefnet interface unit), the download
> stops, and need to restart Subsurface before I can download.

Interesting. So some state gets stuck…

> This is
> exactly as it always was, so I doubt there's anything to be really
> worried about. (As an aside for anyone else using a Sensus unit, I
> would suggest keeping a short loop of shock-cord handy, and using that
> to secure the unit to the base.)

The majority of dive computer connectors are utter crap.
Old style Suuntu.
Mares.
Aeris.
Uemis.

I have had so many problems with connections being intermittent, unstable, interrupted.

>>> I tried being very selective on the loads - selecting just the
>>> first, just the last, various subsets of the list, all with no joy.
>>> Output from -vvvv attached. From a look through the log, there's an
>>> odd attempt to load files from /boot into the Marble engine,
>>
>> That's Marble randomly searching for plugins to load. I had disabled
>> all of those foolish attempts in our branch but somehow that commit
>> got dropped. I need to hunt for it and reapply it. I've seen Marble
>> try to load an image of the running kernel...
>
> I can understanding hunting for pugins, but why on Earth should it go
> looking in /boot?!? Sounds like some of the [REDACTED] that the devs at
> my last place of work would do!

I have not the faintest idea what the developers had in mind there...

> Hopefully my new job will give me a bit more time for testing (you
> don't want to see my attempts at code), and diving (if the weather ever
> improves.)

I’ll be happy to work with developers of any skill. There are SO MANY areas
of Subsurface that could benefit from some attention. Even if you don’t feel
like you can do that coding, drawing up UIs, working through all the corner cases
of the logic of various dialogs, there’s a ton of stuff there.