testing of download from divecomputer needed

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jan 12 23:49:39 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 08:25:50AM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> I tested Uwatec Galileo Sol on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>
> 1) Upload whole dc dive log ok.
>
> 2) Second download:  I selected certain dives only from the download panel
> (actually de-selected some dives)
> Only the selected dives were transfered to dive list. ok.
>
> 3) Upon CANCEL while downloading, it ignored the cancelation and still
> continued to download the complete dc dive log. Probably not ok.

That's odd - I wonder if this is an issue of the backend not being able to
cancel. At least in my testing the cancel was delivered and we did cancel
successfully with a partial download. But I've only tried this using the
simulator (in that case a Suunto VyperAir, in case that matters).

I have no experience with the Uwatec Galileo backend and don't know if
there's anything different there wrt canceling a download.

> I have issues with the layout of the download panel. It could be much more
> efficient in screen utilisation. There is a vast empty, unused space to the
> bottom left of the panel.

Yep.

> 1) Vendor and dive computer names hog way too much space. I suggest put both
> of these items either side-by-side or underneath one another on the
> left-hand side of the panel.
>
> 2) Reduce the width of the left-hand half of the panel to a third of what it
> is now. This will allow reducing the width of the whole download panel by at
> least 30%  and will reduce the size of the unused screen estate.

The sizing certainly could be better. I blame my limited Qt skills here.
I'll take a look if I can make it better.

> A second approach may be:
>
> Create a button "Options" which brings up a pop-up with the 5 options on the
> lefthand side. This will allow taking everything on the lefthand an putting
> it above the main table. Put the Download, OK and Cancel buttons underneath
> the table. This effectively gets rid of the lefthand side of the panel and
> reduces the width of the panel by 50%.

No. I don't see any value in making the dialog smaller. You are only
interacting with the dialog, the app behind it is on halt. So moving
things to a second level of UI just to make it smaller or have it look
less "empty" is not useful.

> I hope some of this is useful.

Yes of course - I just dislike the last idea.

But any testing, any report back is useful. I honestly had hoped that more
people would try it.