Moving project to Android Studio

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Tue Jan 13 01:15:06 PST 2015

On 13 January, 2015 - Aurélien PRALONG wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > are you still maintaining the companion app?
> Well, I don't see many features which could be added, and users don't ask
> either. So yes, I'm maintaining it, but there is no work on it, unless we
> add desktop features. By the way, I personally don't think doing a pure
> Android port would be a great idea, as a Qt mobile port would allow both
> iOS and Android, while reusing existing code... Have you plans on it ? And,
> just curious, was the libdivecomputer port on android (GSoC project)
> functional ?

There are still some things to work on, but quite some progress where
made.

I've bin poking around with that code and my current ideas are based
around ideas from https://github.com/martinmarinov/rtl_tcp_andro-

Eg. Have only a patched libusb which can call-up to java code to grab a
file descriptor, and thus be able to leave libftdi and other libusb
based serial "drivers" untouched.

The only thing I would like to have in the companion app would be to
enter simple data that one might forget about the dive that my
divecomputers doesn't record. In my case thats the start/end cylinder
pressures.
The problem with this is that the model for synchronizing such data will
be quite a bit different from the other data that the companion app
handles right now.

Another thing that I've heard others ask for is a way to do "local"
synchronization of companion data to Subsurface. This would be way
easier. I'm thinking something down the line of exporting the companion
data as gpx/kml/whatnot, and then importing that data into Subsurface,
and applying the same matching algorithm as we already do there.

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604