Moving project to Android Studio

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Tue Jan 13 02:11:35 PST 2015

On 13 January, 2015 - Davide DB wrote:

> Do you really want a fat full fledged android Subsurface?

Yes, i would like to have that. It might not be necessary to have all
the bells and whistles, but at least the basic parts.

> I've been had only problems *just* to read a plain USB keys with my
> android phones and tablets. It's a HW jungle.

If you by android devices without propper usb-otg-support you will have
problems, but most of the modern devices handles usb-otg just fine.

> IMHO the current companion app is nearly perfect.
> For my needs I would just add:
>
> - Browsing of my logbook. Maybe a shared remote repository?

This is not as easy as you might think to "just" add. It would require
quite a bit of coding to re-implement what we have in our "current"
Subsurface, so re-using that code is the only thing that makes sense to
build this kind of feature.

> - Adding on the fly some extra data that I could forget later like
> tank pressures and other small things. Why they could not be
> tranferred via webservice?

Yes, but the webservice and how we synchronize with it isn't build for
this kind of data.

> PS
> From what I read on the official Android development page, now the
> official development tool si Android Studio and migration is strongly
> recommended.

Yes, everything android will eventually move to gradle. Should current
Subsurface companion do it now? Maybe, maybe not...

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604