testing of download from divecomputer needed

Thomas Maisl exp-122004 at maisl.com
Tue Jan 13 15:31:33 PST 2015

Am 13.01.2015 08:56:24 schrieb Dirk Hohndel:

>> success with version 4.3.-353-g578e9c22af72 and Suunto Zoop on
   ======= was the key word ;)
>> 1. Win7 64bit (after downgrading ftdi-driver from 2.12 to 2.10 - before
>> permission denied because of driver signature - a new thing, don't know
>> why) and
>
> Maybe you don't have a 'real' ftdi chip? Wasn't that driver doing
> something strange with fake chips?
no, seems to be a real chip. Before Windows didn't complain. Maybe
meanwhile another installation exchanged the windows driver with an
unsigned version? Anyway.. found a solution.

>> 2. Win7 32bit (with ftdi 2.12)
>> - complete download of data
>> - abort download and
>>   - select all dives to be accepted
>>   - select some dives to be accpeted
>> - download of "newest" dives (after deleting some newer from the logbook)
>> - using of first three options (also combinations thereof)
>
> These are all things you tried. Did they all work? Any issues?
Yes, I had no issues at all. As far as my test did go I had no issues with
the process.

>> Another odd thing:
>> on Win7 32-bit the user survey still pops up on every restart of Subsurface
>> (did a direct upgrade from 183 to 353). I always cancel with the "ask later
>> again" option.
>
> The user survey indeed will pop up until you do it or tell it not to ask
> anymore.
>
>> On Win7 64-bit the survey doesn't pop up. I did upgrade from a more recent
>> version.
>
> So likely you told it to go away at some point.
>
> I'm honestly unsure how best to handle this - I don't want it to be
> annoying so I assumed people would either click "go away" or just fill it
> out. Having it pop up all the time is indeed annoying - but that's kinda
> your own fault by telling it to ask you again :-)

Ah, I thought was a three choice process
1. fill it out now and submit data
2a. I'll fill it out later - remind me in nn days (not on next start)
2b. go away, I don't want to give you any data

Does step 2a with the now reachable user survey within the GUI make any
sense anymore?
When cancelling the survey, the resulting pop-up could additionally refer
to the user survey functionality and omit the "ask later option".

Tom