Feature request for Companion App - NFC and QR support

Thomas Maisl exp-122004 at maisl.com
Tue Jan 13 16:53:22 PST 2015

After the general NFC /
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Field_Communication / development seems
to have been dormant for some years and is now getting into a brighter
focus again esp by more and more (Android) mobile devices supporting NFC I
would suggest support of NFC tags by the Subsurface Companion app.
Support of QR-Codes may be a good idea, too.

I see three use cases:
1. Briefing before a dive
during the briefing a guide explains the dive site. Some even have
documents regarding the site.
Just add a NFC tag with the information of the site and you can transfer
this (maybe including the coordinates) into a notes field of the companion
app. Same with QR-Codes.

2. Sharing your info from your mobile device or certification card
>From my mobile device I can share some information (name and eg.
certification or diver number) through NFC or QR-Code. Would be nice to do
this from within the Subsurface companion app.

You can glue a NFC tag to your brevet card, too and  use it to share this
info with your dive buddies.
AFAIK no certifications association adds a NFC tag to their certification
cards yet.
Does any have QR-Codes on their cards?

PADIs eCard app can produce QR-Code. AFAIK (I read the FAQ) it shows _all_
your certification details (eg DOB, dive centre or resort information,
instructor number and name). I don't want to share every of that details.

3. for the "anal retentive" users (no offence meant, check for the
occurrence on the mailing list)
Write and add NFC tags to your bottles, weight system and ...
You can happily tag the equipment used. Esp. if you have more than one set
of equipment.
Disclaimer: I don't know how long the NFC tags will survive in saline or
sweet water. At least longer than QR-Codes :)

I don't know if any dive operator already uses NFC tags. For tracing
equipment (checking service requirement, frequency of usage) it could be
nice to have tags attached.

Just my 2ct
Tom