Companion app time problem

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Wed Jan 21 13:05:20 PST 2015

On Thursday 22 January 2015 07:55:45 Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So I'm in Fiji with Dirk, and our GPS information has been crap this week.
> We blamed problems with getting a fix, but this morning when I turned on
> the companion app, I noticed that the timestamp on the first location it
> got when turning on was one hour in the future..
>
> My phone clock said 7:03, but the newly acquired location said 8:03. They
> are apparently all one hour off which certainly explains why the location
> subsurface picks is wrong.
>
> Any ideas? Anybody who does java and android programming?

It's probably getting the time from GPS data and failing to convert to the
local timezone. I've seen other Android apps do this -- Waze always shows
universal time for me, it's weird when it says I'll arrive at 2:00 am when I
go home from the office in Portland.

The Olson database says Fiji did not have summer time between 2000 and 2009,
but even if that were the issue, it would be showing one hour earlier, not
after.

It's also showing that you exited summer time this Sunday, so caching could be
an issue. But again it's in the wrong direction. If it's caching, that would
imply the companion app is getting the cached value of GMT+13 instead of the
current GMT+12.

Maybe it's cached by the Android runtime itself.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358