Translation window and some ideas

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 16:37:10 PST 2015

On 25 January 2015 at 00:48, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> Case in point - I asked people to test the 4.3.950 binaries for the
> different Linux flavors.
>
> Look at the long list of reports I have gotten since.
>
> :-(

i think that google+ and linus can help with that?
e.g. if there is a concept to be proven e.g. RPATH issues etc.

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 05:50:29PM +0200, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>> ideally there should be only one string update notification at
>> trasifex per beta cycle.
>> the dreams could be real... ;-)
>
> I don't think that's the right answer, because it would mean that the vast
> majority of translations would have to happen in very small windows. I
> think this makes it harder on the translators.
>
> I may be wrong, but I think pushing strings often is the better course of
> action. For those who'd rather do the full translation at the very end I'd
> simply suggest that you wait until we are at least at Beta 2. Everyone
> else can translate as we go - yes, some times that means there will be
> wasted cycles. Oh, and if you see a typo or an inconsistency, don't
> translate, send a patch instead.

actually, this is better in a way, because the translators have the
freedom to finish their translation right before the release, or start
at beta1 (with the risk of re-doing some work).
on the other hand the developers should be more strict not to send
typos in the first place, so that the typos don't make it in
transifex.

perhaps i check occasionally for things like pO2 using the subscript
2, and request a re-send from the developer.
also, will see if i can sort a patch tomorrow with some text fixes. :-)

lubomir