A Few Questions [Moved from google group]

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 06:40:57 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
<subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
>> <henrik at synth.no> wrote:
>> >
>> > But you'll have to edit every dive you've dived on that location, since
>> > we
>> > don't have a dive site database. There's an issue [1] from the dawn of
>> > time
>> > that would address this, if fixed.
>> >
>> > [1] http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/ticket/102
>>

>> Last month I suggested a simpler way:
>>
>> http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/ticket/802
>>
>> Maybe it could be a good compromise
>

> That's a cool way of finding a location/name but it's not really related to
> what I am suggesting in ticket #102.
>
> I propose that dive sites should be first class citizens in subsurface, with
> a data structure that is independent from the dives.   Taxonomy is not
> important here.  The idea is that you should be able to edit site data
> without having to edit every single dive on that site.  "Site data" could be
> stuff like gps coordinates, name, notes with local emergency plans, dive
> site topography maps and other images.

Henrik, I do not get you.
I come from Diving Log 5.0 where there is a drop-down/check box for
everything. It was really unconfortable for me having dozen of
controls unused for my needs.
In this respect Subsurface was a breath fresh air. It's slick enough
and working with tags I'm free to add details where/when I need it.
Nevertheless I'm agree that a better development of the location part
would be welcome.

Reading your comments:

http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/ticket/102#comment:6

This could be accomplished with reverse geolocation. Notes could be added later.

My idea it's just a simple and effective way to migrate to a deeper
and detailed structure.
I mean: If you care so much about dive location you have GPS point for
sure or at least you can click on a map.
Starting from there you could easily populate all your dives.
We could have a position range in meters where two GPS point are
considered the same location.

Once you have populated all of your dives then you can edit dive
location by yourself adding notes modifyng place names. Once edited it
stay there.

When you add a new dive, you could peak a location from your already
used list(*) or you can pick up a point from the map or via the
companion app. If that GPS point appera to be already in your list you
have a choice to confirm it.

I do not see anything different from this comment:
http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/ticket/102#comment:10

In my idea everything could be optional and triggered by user
preferences. In your case you would have this enabled.
Once enabled you have other fields: notes, photos...
As I suggested you could even choose how to format dive locations.

(*) Right now the text box widget give the user suggestions while
typing of previous location entered. Tomaz or Dirk even improved it
ordering that list.
Right now in the XML every location is threated as different
regardless being the same. I think that a proper solution will involve
moving location to a common part into the xml.