A Few Questions [Moved from google group]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jan 28 09:40:17 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 04:22:49PM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Right now in the XML every location is threated as different
> > regardless being the same. I think that a proper solution will involve
> > moving location to a common part into the xml.
> >

> And *this* is the heart of my issue.  I want to avoid duplication of dive
> site data (on disk and in memory), with all the hassle that brings.
>
> Everything else is icing on the cake.   The UI could be solved multiple
> ways.
>
> My earlier talk about dropdowns and taxonomy really was just suggestions of
> how the UI *could* look like, but I realized this has confused you and Dirk.

At the risk of causing you a heart attack... one of the features I am
planning for 4.5 is dive sites as first class citizens. I have an idea for
the UI, I know how I want to manage the data. I have reached out to one of
the bigger online data bases with dive site information about an API and
integration so that dive sites that are known there could simply be found
by region and name (that part may or may not make it in a 4.5 time frame).

I was planning to send out an email with my design ideas in the next few
days - I'm a bit under water with real life right now.