testing 4.4 Beta 2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jan 28 11:04:35 PST 2015

So just out of curiosity I checked the stats... a total of 32 people have
tested the beta or a development version / daily build since last weekend.

If you are one of them, thanks for doing that, it really helps us release
a better product.

One thing that occured to me is that maybe many people don't know exactly
how to test things. Thomas Maisl did a great job in putting together a
first draft of a test procedure, I cleaned that up a little and posted it
online.

http://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/contributing/testing-subsurface/

Feel free to send edits / comments to that description. A great way to
find out if this is a good description would be to download the beta (or
the latest daily build) and run through some of the tests described... :-)

Thanks

/D

PS: This includes instructions for setting up the libdivecomputer
simulator so that people can test downloading from a dive computer without
having access to a dive computer. I even posted a data file on our server
to make sure everyone can play with this.

PPS: If you have a data file you'd like to donate so that others can test,
please just send it to me (including the backend / model people will need
to use it). You can easily create these files with Subsurface when
checking the "save libdivecomputer dump file" option in the download
dialog. Sadly not all divecomputers allow us to do this (the Cobalt or Eon
Steel are among those who don't), but many do.

PPPS: can people on Mac and Windows look at providing more details on how
to run the simulator? Jef explains some of this on his page that I link
to, but I'll admit I've never tried it...