Translations: [was Re: towards 4.4]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jan 29 11:24:39 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 07:16:32AM -0800, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> The folks translating the manual (Spanish, Russian, French) - are you
> planning to send updates in time for 4.4? Russian is still on 4.2 which
> means I may have to drop it for 4.4...
>
> Speaking of translations: some of our traditionally very good translations
> are not complete (Norwegian, Russian). As usual, Brazilian Portuguese is
> way behind. A couple others are missing the last few updates (German,
> Swedish, Danish, Slovak, Czech).

I looked through the statistics of use that I have and tried to cross
reference to the state of our translations.

Top languages	state of
in order	translation
en		--
de		95%
fr		99%
it		100%
pl		94%
es		99%
ru		82%
sv		88%
nl		95%
zh		76% (Taiwan) 30% (simplified)
fi		95%
da		86%
el		46%
pt		100%
nb		90% (actively being translated right now)

So which languages stand out, worry me?

Russian (I just sent email to our two existing translators).
Swedish
Chinese

Greek is interesting - I was surprised that was so high in our user list,
above Portuguese! But the number is still small enough that I'm OK if we
can't address this.

German, Polish, Dutch, Finnish should be quick fixes for a diver who is
fluent in those languages (I did the German things I could think of, but
there are a few string left where I don't know what the typically used
terms are).