Thinking about a dive site "schema"

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Jan 29 12:10:02 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
<henrik at synth.no> wrote:

>  It works in other dive software.  Quite well, actually.

It really doesn't. They generally don't have maps as a first-class
interface, and I've seen some very nasty nasty dive logs with random
interfaces, and people filling out the locations very badly indeed.

Having the android companion app and just leaving it running, and
letting subsurface just pick up the gps locations automatically really
makes a big difference. It's not hard, and you get *infinitely* better
data than trying to type in country/region stuff. And if we had a
database, you could actually look up dive sites sanely. But only if
you have actual GPS coordinates.

                       Linus