Thinking about a dive site "schema"

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Jan 29 12:16:27 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Linus Torvalds

> Having the android companion app and just leaving it running, and
> letting subsurface just pick up the gps locations automatically really
> makes a big difference.

Btw, I don't know if you've used it, but it already works pretty well.
But you have to still type in the actual dive site name etc right now.

What a database would give you is that you actually don't haev to type
it in at all. Have an android phone (I say "android", because I really
don't know how well the iOS app works, but maybe that works fine too),
or have one of those GPS tracker things that you can get gpx files out
of, and with a database it would be perfectly possible that you'd
never have to actually type in the dive site name at all, it would
just appear. (Admittedly, most likely, you'd have to pick one out of a
small set of cases, and that's assuming the database gets any good).

Seriously. Without GPS information, the database is worthless. With
it, it's suddenly a real helper that gives you real advantages.

Without GPS location, you have to write the dive site, and our
existing auto-complete of names is perfectly fine and gets you pretty
much all you need.

                              Linus