Thinking about a dive site "schema"

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Thu Jan 29 12:24:11 PST 2015

Hi,

> On 29 Jan 2015, at 17:49, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> GPS coordinates
> Site name (= (part of) our location string?)
> Description
> Local notes
>
> The first two are mandatory. If you don't have a name and GPS coordinates,
> you don't have an entry in this data base.
>
> Based on what some website do, we could add more items, but I'm not sure I
> want to do that; feedback welcome:
>
> Currents
> Hazards
> Water type
> Marinelife
> Maxdepth
> Mindepth

once more, I might use my divulge differently from other people (as I e.g. don’t care to log equipment on a regular basis only for exmple if I use a piece of kit for the first time. Then in particular i might write down how it affected weights), so, I mainly dive at inland dive sites.

So, when at a new site, i tend to note its attractions (well, everybody would do that) but what is crucial (and for which I really use the logbook to check things  in the future) might be, how to get there: Often lakes (ponds) are in the middle of nowhere, are not features of my navigational aid and require descriptions (turn left after the last farmhouse, follow the track for 2km). Or I might note diving restrictions (many sites here in Bavaria are forbidden for divers during the winter for environmental protection but details differ).

And of course, an imported/downloaded database would be very useful to find dive sites close to places where you will be but have not dived before: Say, I have to go to some town and have a bit of time so I could go diving at a local dive site if I only knew what that might be.

For Germany, there is for example http://www.tauchseen-portal.de <http://www.tauchseen-portal.de/> which has a lot of information (since it is maintained by local dive clubs all over the country) but the UI is a nightmare since you cannot really search. If we interfaced with their database, it would be wonderful. Only I doubt that they let us do that since VdST is governed by people that would prefer if the world and diving in particular were like fifty years ago. So, if they provided an API, they would think people would steal their precious data.

Best
Robert