change in plans re: 4.4

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jan 30 20:41:49 PST 2015

Just a quick heads up. Those of you who followed this cycle will remember
that my initial reason for trying to get 4.4 out fairly quickly was to add
Facebook support to Subsurface. And as luck would have it, this afternoon
our post access to Facebook was approved.

So my tentative plan is now to release another Beta this weekend with
Facebook support enabled. I'm afraid this might add a string or two and of
course this will require a quick chapter in the user manual - but I think
this is worth it.

I'll push some changes that enable Facebook support on Qt5 builds by
default and try to wrestle with the user experience a tiny bit - Tomaz and
I stopped worrying about this when we didn't get anything back from
Facebook for nearly a month... in hindsight that was a mistake.

It would be great if people could test posting to Facebook and report any
issues they run into. Using this is fairly straight forward.

1) in the preferences, connect Subsurface to your FB account
2) an 'f' icon will show up next to the notes
3) click the 'f' and you'll see a dialog that allows you to post to FB

Willem - Tomaz will add a couple small changes to this, so don't do
screenshots just yet. We'll ask the user for a PIN in step 1 and have them
enter that PIN in step 3. The reason is that we don't want other
applications to be able to read the FB token in clear text from our
settings and abuse that to post to the users time line without their
knowledge...