Missing translations

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jan 31 08:56:32 PST 2015

On January 31, 2015 8:47:43 AM Robert Helling <helling at lmu.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 31 Jan 2015, at 17:05, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > NAK
> >
> > these are intentionally not translated.
>
> fine. Then what is the rule which error messages to translate (it is not
> that I added translation markers to all report_error occurrences, many were
> already translated)?

I knew I would get bitten by not having been consistent.

My vision had been that things that could reasonably happen in normal
operation (network down, wrong file name, etc.) should be translated.
Things that are actual bugs or things that usually shouldn't happen
(running out of memory) should stay in English.

I bet this is not what we have consistently.

I just don't want to ask the translators to translate things that we'd
expect to never show a user, and that would then make it harder for us to
debug problems / understand bug reports.

I already struggle when we get reports where the users refer to localized
menu names or use other localized terms...