GSoC Status - Week 5 (Customizable prints)

Gehad Elrobey gehadelrobey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 05:37:10 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 1 July 2015 at 03:24, Gehad Elrobey <gehadelrobey at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:

> neolit123 at gmail.com>

> >> ok

> is
> >> >

> >> greyscale should work for both the preview and the actual print.
> >>

> > I think QPrintPreviewDialog reflects page related options only, so some
> > QPrinter related settings like colorMode and resolution can't be
> previewed
> > with the dialog.
> >

> how so?
> in *all* of the previous implementations both resolution and colorMode
> were visible/reflected on the preview!

I tested the color mode selection in the old printing code and it was not
working in QPrintPreviewDialog, so this may be a QT5 bug?
I tested with both v4.4.2 and commit f8a3a85 and it didn't work in any of
them.

> both PrintDialog::onPaintRequested() and PrintDialog::printClicked()
> call the same method Printer::print() which then calls
> Printer::render() and greyscale mode becomes optional.
>
> what am i missing?

I am doing exactly the same thing, and I call
QPrinter::setColorMode(GrayScale) and I call Profile::setPrintMode(), am I
missing something?

> > Also as you have mentioned that profile2 is missing grey scale
> capability so
> > I think we may need to remove 'print in color' check box which is in my
> > opinion useless, because user can still select printing color mode from
> > option tab in QPrintDialog which will affect the actual printing and not
> the
> > previewDialog.
> >

> i disagree...the Preview should be exactly the same as the Print output.
> the profile2 custom color table is also doable but for now we should
> simply use QPrinter::GrayScale.

I thing a solution for this we can use css to turn the whole page to gray
scale before rendering also we will need to use the custom color table,
what do you think about this?

> BTW, Gehad we had a short discussions with the other GSoC mentors and
> we came to the conclusion that some of the students are not very
> responsive.
> i know that i'm not on IRC, and i'm not saying that you don't respond
> at all, but could you try to be *more* responsive via email i.e. write
> immediately after you see an email, cover all questions etc...this is
> important for your final GSoC score.

Sorry for that I will be more responsive to further emails.

--
regards,

Gehad