GSoC Status - Week 5 (Customizable prints)

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 06:11:39 PDT 2015

On 1 July 2015 at 15:37, Gehad Elrobey <gehadelrobey at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> how so?
>> in *all* of the previous implementations both resolution and colorMode
>> were visible/reflected on the preview!
>>

> I tested the color mode selection in the old printing code and it was not
> working in QPrintPreviewDialog, so this may be a QT5 bug?
> I tested with both v4.4.2 and commit f8a3a85 and it didn't work in any of
> them.

i could be a Qt5 bug, indeed.
the 4.x subsurface b&w print didn't work at all due to profile2.

>> both PrintDialog::onPaintRequested() and PrintDialog::printClicked()
>> call the same method Printer::print() which then calls
>> Printer::render() and greyscale mode becomes optional.
>>
>> what am i missing?
>>

> I am doing exactly the same thing, and I call
> QPrinter::setColorMode(GrayScale) and I call Profile::setPrintMode(), am I
> missing something?

right, so if you confirm that it simply doesn't work, then
setColorMode() is unreliable for b&w previews and we need to find an
alternative.
(and which is used for both the preview and the actual print).

>> > Also as you have mentioned that profile2 is missing grey scale
>> > capability so
>> > I think we may need to remove 'print in color' check box which is in my
>> > opinion useless, because user can still select printing color mode from
>> > option tab in QPrintDialog which will affect the actual printing and not
>> > the
>> > previewDialog.
>> >

>> i disagree...the Preview should be exactly the same as the Print output.
>> the profile2 custom color table is also doable but for now we should
>> simply use QPrinter::GrayScale.
>>

> I thing a solution for this we can use css to turn the whole page to gray
> scale before rendering also we will need to use the custom color table, what
> do you think about this?

i don't understand CSS very well, but if that's a viable solution we
should definitely give it a go.
the problem i see here is that if the user defines a custom color CSS
for his template, we then need to override it if the b&w mode is
selected...messy.
let me ask Dirk in a separate email about the whole b&w/color print.

>> BTW, Gehad we had a short discussions with the other GSoC mentors and
>> we came to the conclusion that some of the students are not very
>> responsive.
>> i know that i'm not on IRC, and i'm not saying that you don't respond
>> at all, but could you try to be *more* responsive via email i.e. write
>> immediately after you see an email, cover all questions etc...this is
>> important for your final GSoC score.
>

> Sorry for that I will be more responsive to further emails.

thank you

lubomir