dive plans for testing

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jul 5 07:01:47 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 10:28:23AM +1000, Rick Walsh wrote:

> Note that the example you gave used 38% rather 36% as the first deco gas.
> Also, by saying the VPM "benchmark" profile had a bottom time of 30
> minutes, I meant the ascent started at 30 minutes runtime.  Definitions of
> bottom time vary - sorry for not clarifying before.  I also didn't mention
> that the benchmark took final stop depth as 20 ft.

Oh wow. So that changes things a bit. Maybe Jocke will be so nice to
re-run them with those changes?

> This is incredibly similar to the VPM benchmark runtimes.  At worst it
> differs at each stop by 1 minute. Note that the benchmark has a 20 s stop
> at 180ft, we continue to 170 ft, but both plans reach 170ft at exactly 33:18

Is that an indication of different ascend speeds?

> > I'm not a serious tech diver (even though I'm TriMix certified - I just
> > never do it). If anything in this sample is stupid (or if we should test
> > different parameters), please modify accordingly.
>
> I'm still a learner tech diver (halfway through TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco
> Procedures), so definitely not a serious trimix diver.

Hehe, I semi-frequently am a dive master for this class. It's one I enjoy,
espcially on the last dive with the students on air completely narced out
of their minds and me on trimix having a great time watching them :-)

> > oddly, 4.4.2.955 gives me not only different formatting (that was an
> > intentional change) and still the wrong line for the oxygen change, but
> > also slightly inconsistent run times (all parameters were set identical);
> > check out the run time at 79ft  or the total run time...
>
> I think that will be due to my earlier patch (commit
> e5a4b5a61838d7c3f95856ce11c21fe7aa992eb4), to end deco stops on whole
> minutes of runtime.  It is possible but less likely that adjusting the
> timestep (48aa0bdfd0450b6a51b4f2aa18f65b91b8b361b0) to 2 seconds, might
> have had some effect.

Given that none of this is hard exact science, I don't think the changes
are worrying. Thanks for helping to explain where they came from.