Week 6 GSoC Progress Update (Android Port)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jul 5 15:51:35 PDT 2015

Hi Grace

On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 11:00:31PM +0300, Grace Karanja wrote:

> This week, I managed the following:-
>
> - Adding a preferences dialog for the user to store cloud credentials.
> - Displaying the dive profile in QML.

Things looks nice, great progress. Styling is a bit off on my display (text
seems to be too close to the bottom of the surrounding box) but it's quite
usable already. It's just so cool when you add your credentials and it
simply shows all your dives...

I notice the 'close' button. Is swiping to the side another way to
implement this? The button is nice and big so I'm not too worried, I just
would love to make sure that the UI is easy to use on a touch-pnly devoce
without a keyboard.

> This coming week, I will :-
> - Finish working on the dive profile

That will be cool. I am really happy how close to useful this is already -
and we only at about half time of the project!

> and
> - Spend time on improving Android compilation. As the app has only been tested
> on desktop, we will need to run it on Android for better testing.

Definitely. Please keep asking Anton(glance) to help you there. Worst case
I can try and dig into what I can find... I don't consider fixing the
cmake problem part of your GSoC tasks and don't want you to have to waste
too much time on this.

> All of the work done so far is on my GitHub repository.

I pulled from there to play with things. I'm not quite ready to pull this
into master because there seems to be too much redundant code movements.
One patch moves code here, the next patch moves it there.
One patch comments out code, the next patch remove the comment.
Several patches have incremental changes to the same file.

I know that you have used git rebase -i in the past. I'd really like to
see you combine some of these commits so the series of patches becomes
more structured and goes reasonably straight to the end result.

>From a commit message point of view I think you are doing well. One thing
that would be nice would be a "tag" in the commit title. For example if
all of the commits that deal with the QML UI started with "QML UI:" and
continued in lower case. Something like

QML UI: implement saving dives in the cloud

I know, this is nit picking, but the goal here is to turn you into a
strong contributor :-)

Thanks for your hard work.