[GSoC] Week 6 (Native Bluetooth support)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jul 5 22:41:21 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 06:15:07AM +0300, Claudiu Olteanu wrote:
> > Might be worth following up, copying Thiago. If we are chasing a library
> > bug I'd prefer to know that early.
> > Out of curiosity, have you tried compiling Qt5.5 from source and trying
> > with that? That is high on my personal todo list.
>
> I created a SDP discovery sample and I compiled it with Qt5.5-beta version.
> Nothing changed. I still cannot see the SPP service from my HW OSTCs
> device when I do a full service discovery.
> I also had an attempt to compile the Subsurface project using Qt 5.5.0.
> Unfortunately I gave up quickly because I couldn't set correctly the Cmake
> paths.

As Thiago said, let's make sure we fix that.
I was busy with other things and haven't found the time to build QT5.5,
yet. Will hopefully have the time to work on this in the next day or two.

> > I have talked to Matthias Heinrichs about some issues I have with my OSTC
> > 2 as well. Might also be worth pinging him in case he has newer firmware.
>
> Currently I have firmware 1.80. I saw that there is a new version 1.81
> and in the
> changeset it says "BUGFIX: Fix download issue for dives made with 1.80
> firmware".
> I will try to make the update but I am not sure that this will fix the
> connectivity
> problems. I believe this issue is similar with the one you encountered
> on your Petrel
> devices.

Getting to the bottom of these issues and making BT based download more
reliable is the prime goal of this project. Let's make sure we draw on the
resources we have available. I can get you in contact with the key bluez
developers (quite a few work in my group at Intel). So if we need help
figuring out what's going wrong, we should be able to get the right people
involved.

> >> On the OpenSuse environment there are moments when I successfully
> >> connect to the device and initiate the data transfer mode and moments
> >> when it gets stuck in the Connecting state. On the other two environments
> >> the device always gets stuck on the connecting state.
> >
> > For my OSTC 2 I can load the directory but then get stuck loading dives.
>
> When I manage to connect to the OSTC 2 device and to initiate the data
> transfer I get the same result. It gets stuck somewhere in the middle.
> The libdivecomputer back-end initiate a read request for a 1024 buffer
> and can read only 923 bytes from device's buffer.
> I will let you know if the new firmware fixes this problem.

That is definitely we need to work on with Matthias. I got sidetracked
(I simply work on too many things - I need more areas where others take
over and I don't need to worry about them) and never spent the time to
really figure out what was broken.

> > I would like to start merging your patches into Subsurface master and into
> > the Subsurface-testing branch of libdivecomputer. Can you create git
> > branches that I can pull from that
>
> Of course. I will create a new git branch and I will send you the patches by
> the end of this day. First I want to see if something changed after
> firmware's update.

Thanks. I'm going to bed but will be up again in a few hours and take a
look at what you have.