Week 6 GSoC Progress Update (Android Port)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jul 6 06:12:08 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 09:47:42AM +0200, Anton Lundin wrote:
> > > and
> > > - Spend time on improving Android compilation. As the app has only been tested
> > > on desktop, we will need to run it on Android for better testing.
> >
> > Definitely. Please keep asking Anton(glance) to help you there. Worst case
> > I can try and dig into what I can find... I don't consider fixing the
> > cmake problem part of your GSoC tasks and don't want you to have to waste
> > too much time on this.
> >

> After my last patch series, subsurface builds again against the Android
> NDK and Qt 5.4.2. It can't produce a working APK yet, but things
> compile.
>
> I'm testing qt 5.5.0 right now.
>

> My current plans for Cmake / Android support are picking ideas from
> https://github.com/calincru/QML-Android-Demo to hook things up to be
> able to generate a apk.
>
> Btw. Do anyone know if there are any plans for cmake / Android support
> "natively" in Qt?

Most of the questions about this seem to end up pointing to this at some
point:

https://github.com/LaurentGomila/qt-android-cmake

> ps.
> Another thing i would love if Grace took a look at is wiring up a
> download from divecomputer dialog in qml. That would be great for the
> Qt-bluetooth tingie on android.

Yes

> Also a simple ui for the planner would be on my wishlist =)

Not so sure about this one. There are so many options plus the smaller
screen size. And you can't print. Would people REALLY use that instead of
doing this on a real computer? Or would this be more something that one
looked at once, said "cool" but then never actually used?

I simply don't know. I find it hard to imagine that a serious tech dive
would plan a dive on their phone and then copy it from there to their
slate or something. But then, I'm not a serious tech diver, so I could be
completely wrong and that would be the killer app everyone wants.