Week 6 GSoC Progress Update (Android Port)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jul 6 08:54:24 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 05:27:45PM +0200, Anton Lundin wrote:
> > > Also a simple ui for the planner would be on my wishlist =)
> >
> > Not so sure about this one. There are so many options plus the smaller
> > screen size. And you can't print. Would people REALLY use that instead of
> > doing this on a real computer? Or would this be more something that one
> > looked at once, said "cool" but then never actually used?
> >
> > I simply don't know. I find it hard to imagine that a serious tech dive
> > would plan a dive on their phone and then copy it from there to their
> > slate or something. But then, I'm not a serious tech diver, so I could be
> > completely wrong and that would be the killer app everyone wants.
> >

> Me and my dive team do it all the time.
>
> We quite frequently run numbers on different gases, depth, time, deco
> gas, whatever on our cell's just to figure out what we can/should do for
> sort of dive.
>
> Eg, We do a 55m dive on 21/35, can we deco 50% or will it take to long
> time in the cold water so we need to bring the o2 along.
>
> Will my 100 bar AL80 with 50% do, or do i need more gas?

Excellent. That's why I said "I simply don't know" :-)
Thanks for the concrete examples. So let's figure out how a UI for that
should look.

> I would just love a simple planner.
>
> For me it could be as simple as:
>
> Depth, time, gas, deco-gasses, and it just does drop-stone-mode and
> gives me whatever is in the "Dive plan details" view.
>
> ( I even might wire it up myself, now when i think about it =)

That's of course always a good idea. The more people figure out how to
work on the QML interfaces, the better.

But if I may share my personal list of priorities (and even if you don't
want me to, how would you stop me?):

Anton:

1) get us back to be be able to build an APK
2) do some testing of what we have for VPM / planner - any red flags?
3) anything else

Grace:

1) profile support
2) download dialog using BT
3) more gestures for a more natural UI
4) testing on Android
5) anything else

Obviously this is an open source project so you can work on what you would
like to work on. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just trying to
make sure we get the pieces we need in place :-)

Thanks