Week 6 GSoC Progress Update (Android Port)

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:53:35 PDT 2015

On 7 Jul 2015 1:55 am, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> > > Not so sure about this one. There are so many options plus the smaller
> > > screen size. And you can't print. Would people REALLY use that
instead of
> > > doing this on a real computer? Or would this be more something that
one
> > > looked at once, said "cool" but then never actually used?
> > >
> > > I simply don't know. I find it hard to imagine that a serious tech
dive
> > > would plan a dive on their phone and then copy it from there to their
> > > slate or something. But then, I'm not a serious tech diver, so I
could be
> > > completely wrong and that would be the killer app everyone wants.
> > >

> > Me and my dive team do it all the time.
> >
> > We quite frequently run numbers on different gases, depth, time, deco
> > gas, whatever on our cell's just to figure out what we can/should do for
> > sort of dive.
> >
> > Eg, We do a 55m dive on 21/35, can we deco 50% or will it take to long
> > time in the cold water so we need to bring the o2 along.
> >
> > Will my 100 bar AL80 with 50% do, or do i need more gas?

Our local sea conditions change rapidly.  Frequently, the scheduled dive
site is altered an hour before the boat leaves.  Or a boat is cancelled
because not enough people booked onto it.  Either way, much of the time we
end up diving a different site than what we planned when we left home.  Now
our original plan isn't valid anymore.

So, it would be a killer app feature from my point of view too.  In fact,
I've been considering paying for a commercial app that does this.

> Excellent. That's why I said "I simply don't know" :-)
> Thanks for the concrete examples. So let's figure out how a UI for that
> should look.
>
> > I would just love a simple planner.
> >
> > For me it could be as simple as:
> >
> > Depth, time, gas, deco-gasses, and it just does drop-stone-mode and
> > gives me whatever is in the "Dive plan details" view.

This is all I'd want most of the time.  Quick and easy to use and copy to
wet notes.

> > ( I even might wire it up myself, now when i think about it =)
>
> That's of course always a good idea. The more people figure out how to
> work on the QML interfaces, the better.
>
> But if I may share my personal list of priorities (and even if you don't
> want me to, how would you stop me?):
>
> Anton:
>
> 1) get us back to be be able to build an APK
> 2) do some testing of what we have for VPM / planner - any red flags?
> 3) anything else
>
> Grace:
>
> 1) profile support
> 2) download dialog using BT
> 3) more gestures for a more natural UI
> 4) testing on Android
> 5) anything else

I assume it wasn't part of the original intended GSOC scope, and extra
mid-way feature requests are a great way to get off track.  It would be
great if someone can implement it.  And thanks Anton for volunteering.  But
I agree the focus should be getting a working and tested Subsurface app
first.

Cheers,

Rick