[QtBluetooth] Help for testing HW_OSTC3 and SHEARWATER families

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jul 9 06:17:16 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 10:17:41AM +0200, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 09 July, 2015 - Claudiu Olteanu wrote:
>

> > > Due to that broken device i got a:
> > > "This should never happen, please contact the Subsurface developers" ...
> >

> > By the way, this error is usually generated when the Bluetooth service is
> > not started or when the Qt framework cannot communicate with your local
> > BT device (the library is not installed correctly or the dbus communication
> > is not working).
> >
> > Try to see if you can control your Bluetooth device using bluetoothctl tool.
>
> The hci device was seriously broken, and i don't think any tool could
> work with it.
>
> In my mind, a error message that says: "This should never happen" and it
> happens in a number of cases isn't a great message =)

That's my fault. Claudiu at first had a different message that seemed too
technical for users - and I made him change this to the "should never
happen" message because I didn't realize that there were two possible
causes for it. Admittedly his message focused on the other cause, the one
that really should never happen as it talked about a library missing that
we would install with Subsurface. But this should really say something
like "The Bluetooth service on your system doesn't appear to be running".
And then we should have entries in our FAQ that tell people what to do in
that case on the various platforms. On Linux it's things like "make sure
bluez is started - systemctl start bluetooth.service". On Mac we don't
know, yet. Etc.