Dive site management and taxonomy test

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jul 9 07:38:24 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 04:33:19PM +0200, Davide DB wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > So where do you get the delay? When you click on the little globe button? Yes, that's the web service lookup, that can take as moment.
>
> When I click on the globe button

Yeah, that's expected. I need to use the cute spinner that Tomaz added a
while ago to indicate the activity...

> When I change tag preferences, sometimes they are not updated
> immediately. I guess it's a windows refresh problem.

I'd love to understand a reproduceable scenario in which that happens. I
try pretty aggressively to make sure that changes to the preferences are
reflected in the UI ;-)

> >> Just a question. Do you use GPS data to query locations?
> >> I'm trying on geonames.org and I'm getting different data with gps and
> >> location names.
> >
> > Only with gps data so far
>
> As registered user I cannot search a place via lat/lon but only via
> it's name... I can see the result of gps query only via Subsurface.

You can do that via their API

> i.e. my last dive was:
>
> Fiumefreddo Bruzio - Cist. DESPREZ
> 39°14'06.360"N 16°02'20.040"E
>
> Fiumefreddo Bruzio is a city, municipality
> Cist. DESPREZ is a WWII wreck (tanker Desprez)
>
> From subsurface I get
> (City)  Scaro-Reggio-Scornavacca-Vardaro
> No ocean
>
> Searching geonames.org for "Fiumefreddo Bruzio" I get 7 results and
> one of them is really "Fiumefreddo Bruzio" that is the main city.
> Scaro-Reggio-Scornavacca-Vardaro is a part of this municipality. From
> the map I see that is the nearest one the gps point.
> From the geotree hierarchy I see that is not a municipality but just a
> populated place.
> I'm studying their documentation and in their hierarchy we should stop
> if available to ADM3
>
> I guess we opened a can of worms :)

Yes we did, but your help is very welcome. If there is more / better
information that we can get from them we should use that.

> I'm trying to understand why there is no ocean for that gps fixes

I have asked that question on their forum. It works for some bodies of
water but not for others and I cannot find any documentation how the
identification of bodies of water works. Maybe you can add to my question
once you learn more?

Thanks