Dive site management and taxonomy test

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 07:33:19 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> So where do you get the delay? When you click on the little globe button? Yes, that's the web service lookup, that can take as moment.

When I click on the globe button
When I change tag preferences, sometimes they are not updated
immediately. I guess it's a windows refresh problem.

>> Just a question. Do you use GPS data to query locations?
>> I'm trying on geonames.org and I'm getting different data with gps and
>> location names.
>
> Only with gps data so far

As registered user I cannot search a place via lat/lon but only via
it's name... I can see the result of gps query only via Subsurface.

i.e. my last dive was:

Fiumefreddo Bruzio - Cist. DESPREZ
39°14'06.360"N 16°02'20.040"E

Fiumefreddo Bruzio is a city, municipality
Cist. DESPREZ is a WWII wreck (tanker Desprez)

>From subsurface I get
(City)  Scaro-Reggio-Scornavacca-Vardaro
No ocean

Searching geonames.org for "Fiumefreddo Bruzio" I get 7 results and
one of them is really "Fiumefreddo Bruzio" that is the main city.
Scaro-Reggio-Scornavacca-Vardaro is a part of this municipality. From
the map I see that is the nearest one the gps point.
>From the geotree hierarchy I see that is not a municipality but just a
populated place.
I'm studying their documentation and in their hierarchy we should stop
if available to ADM3

I guess we opened a can of worms :)

I'm trying to understand why there is no ocean for that gps fixes

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos