Dive site management and taxonomy test

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jul 9 08:27:29 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 04:41:59PM +0200, Davide DB wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to understand why there is no ocean for that gps fixes
>

> I tried by hand their ocean webservice with the above GPS fixes and I
> get a correct data.
>
> http://api.geonames.org/ocean?lat=39.235100&lng=16.038900&username=demo
>
> <geonames>
> <ocean>
> <name>Tirreno Sea</name>
> </ocean>
> </geonames>

Hm. Then I don't understand why we didn't get an ocean from within
Subsurface. Could you try and click the little button again? I can also
try this here, now that I have the GPS data.

> I tried to get all items on that GPS data via their map:
>
> Found 7 items in this area
> #namedistancecountryclasscode
> 1Scaro-Reggio-Scornavacca-Vardano1.089 kmIT CalabriaPPPL
> 2Bardano1.453 kmIT CalabriaPPPL
> 3Campolivaro1.615 kmIT CalabriaPPPL
> 4Santa Serra1.868 kmIT CalabriaPPPL
> 5Fiumefreddo Bruzio 2.052 kmIT CalabriaAADM3
> 6Fiumefreddo Bruzio2.205 kmIT CalabriaPPPLA3
> 7Longobardi2.556 kmIT CalabriaPPPLA3
>
> When we search for a city we should look at "class" and "code" fields
> with A and ADM3 (at least in Italy).

Can you run the same API call that we run, please
http://api.geonames.org/findNearbyPlaceNameJSON?language=%1&lat=%2&lng=%3&radius=50
and use the terms in that response to help me understand which would be
the best values to pick?

> I hope this is the same in other country. Never been a cartographer in
> one of my previous lifes :)

Me neither, but I've learned from playing with half a dozen services that
this is extremely inconsistent and different in different geographies. For
example for Brazil what I think of as the 'city' name wasn't listed under
city but under a different class - yet for US locations that class gave me
the county :-(

We may not be able to get this perfectly right, but I would like to make
it as good as possible.