Dive site management and taxonomy test

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jul 10 09:56:34 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 04:33:19PM +0200, Davide DB wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > So where do you get the delay? When you click on the little globe button? Yes, that's the web service lookup, that can take as moment.
>
> When I click on the globe button
> When I change tag preferences, sometimes they are not updated
> immediately. I guess it's a windows refresh problem.
>
> >> Just a question. Do you use GPS data to query locations?
> >> I'm trying on geonames.org and I'm getting different data with gps and
> >> location names.
> >
> > Only with gps data so far
>
> As registered user I cannot search a place via lat/lon but only via
> it's name... I can see the result of gps query only via Subsurface.
>
> i.e. my last dive was:
>
> Fiumefreddo Bruzio - Cist. DESPREZ
> 39°14'06.360"N 16°02'20.040"E
>
> Fiumefreddo Bruzio is a city, municipality
> Cist. DESPREZ is a WWII wreck (tanker Desprez)
>
> From subsurface I get
> (City)  Scaro-Reggio-Scornavacca-Vardaro
> No ocean

I get Scaro-Reggio-Scornavacca-Vardaro, Tirreno Sea

So possibly the call to the oceans API timed out for you or failed for
another reason.

> Searching geonames.org for "Fiumefreddo Bruzio" I get 7 results and
> one of them is really "Fiumefreddo Bruzio" that is the main city.
> Scaro-Reggio-Scornavacca-Vardaro is a part of this municipality. From
> the map I see that is the nearest one the gps point.
> From the geotree hierarchy I see that is not a municipality but just a
> populated place.
> I'm studying their documentation and in their hierarchy we should stop
> if available to ADM3

And this is the part I still don't understand sufficiently. How to
determine what is the "usually used" name for a location.

So in some regions of the world it appears that toponymName is indeed the
hamlet or small local town and adminName3 is the name of the actual city.
In others adminName3 is never used and toponymName is the name of the
local city.

I have now implemented an attempt to handle both of these scenarios
reasonably well:

a) toponymName has been reclassified as "town"
b) adminName3 has been added as "city"
c) if a toponymName exists but no adminName3, then the toponymName is
copied into the adminName3 field

What that means is that if you always want the toponymName, pick "town".
If you would rather have that or the closest bigger city (as given in
Italy for example), then pick city.

I'm kicking off a daily build right now so you can test this.