Dive site management and taxonomy test

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jul 13 09:06:18 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 05:19:38PM +0200, Davide DB wrote:
> Regarding the Location management UI I think is a good compromise and
> of course I hope to give you some help to iron out bugs asap.
> I understood that once the dive site management UI will be ready, some
> controls will be relocated.
>
> BTW I have some doubt about the popup. I don't see a real added value
> and moreover it's really naive. I mean I never saw something similar
> in other UI and maybe we should try to use standard UI patterns.
> If you want to keep it I suggest some change at least. A popup/window
> without a titlebar is strange. Given that you cannot move it (it is
> anchored to the edit button) I suggest to show the edit button pressed
> once the popup is displayed and depressed when it is hidden. Hence you
> display/hide only pressing/depressing the edit button.
> But actually I'm trying to find another application with this kind of
> control and I cannot find it.
> Maybe Adobe Photoshop has something similar... I will investigate.

Davide, I have mixed feelings about the popup myself. When Tomaz suggested
it I liked that it was a quick fix to the problem that we have. Since then
he has sunk dozens of hours into it to make it work and I'm wondering if
it is worth it.

UIs are hard. They are hard to design. And then once you design them, they
are hard to implement in the way you designed them (and in a way that
works across all these different platforms).

When Henrik and you and some others finally got me to agree to implement
the location management I was afraid of exactly that. This incredible sink
hole of development that prevents another release, that sucks all the
development resources dry and seemingly never gets to something that the
people who wanted it are actually happy with.

I don't need the location management. But I don't want a half-assed crap
solution, either. And with Tomaz being the only real UI developer we have
and with his time being more limited lately, it seems like we are stuck.