More Location Fixes.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jul 14 12:56:06 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:34:27PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Now I fly to Hawaii and go diving. I run the companion app. I am one of
> > the people who first download the GPS fixes before they start editing the
> > dives.
>
> You realize that in many places you can't even do this? Because you
> may not have interenet?
>
> Any workflow that depends on order of companion app is broken.

Right. You are the one who was yelling at me when you were in Hawaii and
did exactly that. Exactly the steps that I described. And it didn't do
exactly what I described as the output here.

How do you expect anyone to be able to implement what's in your rants if
your rants keep changing?

> Seriously. You haven't thought this through. Your model cannot work.

Hmm, in the last email you were complaining about the fact that we
actually ARE thinking it through. And now you are complaining that we are
NOT thinking it through. Complicated.

> And the fundamental reason it cannot work is that you mix up two
> things.
>
> If you get GPS information from typing a name, the behavior is broken,
> because that breaks the "I had no internet, so I'll have to download
> GPS data later, but now I have GPS data because I happened to picka
> name that already existed, so now it will never do that".

No it doesn't. You aren't paying attention. You aren't reading what people
are writing.

If you pick a dive site from the list that is CLEARLY marked as having a
GPS location and for most normal users will even be CLEARLY marked with
taxonomy data. So there is nothing confusing here. You picked a site with
GPS data. You got that GPS data.

If you think "I have GPS data from the phone, I just can't upload that
right now" and "the site was Blue Corner" then you type in Blue Corner and
do NOT pick the pre-existing site. You just type it in and accept that
name. You get a new site with that name and no GPS data. You download the
GPS from the webservice when you have internet and it does exactly what
you wanted it to do.

Easy, intuitive, obvious.

Picking Blue Corner but not getting the GPS location is a ridiculous idea
- what's the point of having dive sites to auto-complete from if you don't
get their data. And stop ranting about the fact that you somehow need to
explicitly tell Subsurface whether you want an existing dive site or a new
one. You may not know if you have that site. And you don't have to.

> And if it acts differently depending on whether you write the whole
> name, or whether you then see the name and auto-complete, that's also
> obviously a complete disaster because that kind of difference is a UI
> disaster. I may not be a UI person, but I know shit when I see it.

Excellent. Thank you for your constructive commentary.

> So exactly *how* do you suggest you solve it in your world-view?

See above

>  - start typing the name (if this is what you want to be the beginning point)
>
>  - the completion needs to have the *choice* of cases, ie a drop-down
> menu, where the first choice is "no GPS", but the other choices have
> that GPS marker (that we have in the divelist too).

Why would there BE a completion with no GPS if the only dive site of that
name has a GPS location attached to it?

> And if you explicitly press cursor down (and _only_ if you do that),
> then the globe scrolls to that entry. There could be multiple entries
> there, you need some way to see where it scrolls.

HAVE YOU EVEN USED THE CURRENT CODE????
That's exactly what happens.

> But it's also important that the globe *not* scroll until you do that,
> because maybe you had the globe at the explicit point it was, because
> you were looking up the dive site names around that area!
>
> And again, it's important that this is an explicit choice. Really. It
> *has* to be. If it's not a button press ahead of time, it needs to be
> a button press (or keyboard action) after you've seen the list. Not
> some implicit "if you complete the name" thing. Because that cannot
> work, and you need to admit that.

And you need to admit that you are just rambling and aren't following
what's being developed. It IS an explicit choice. It has been discussed
here as an explicit choice. It has been implemented as an explicit choice.