More Location Fixes.

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Tue Jul 14 13:34:47 PDT 2015

> On 14 Jul 2015, at 22:07, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> wrote:

[lots of things in capital letters]

Gentlemen,

as I said earlier, due to lack of time I did not fully read and understand the previous discussion (in particular the four level indentation list). But please let me add my two cents worth of opinion (at the risk of that it has already been said or worse argued to be wrong).

I would think everybody would agree on the following assumptions:

1) The typical cases should be easy.

2) There should be no surprises to the user (even when they had a different mindset about what the semantics might be or they were using the program/companion app in a way not explicitly prevented by the program).

2a) In particular, the user should not lose data (mainly GPS locations) in an unexpected way.

I would believe this implies:

i) When completing, in the list of possibilities show the taxononomy if available. So it becomes obvious that the user is completing a site and not a name. Don’t offer sites too far away if the current dive has already a location. (The price you have to pay would be that one has to type Blue Hole more than once in a lifetime). If the old dive had a name but no GPS data, do not show a taxonomy and you are in fact just completing a name. Even if the current dive has a GPS fix don’t copy that to the old dives (that should be possible somewhere else but not when adding a new dive).

ii) When entering GPS coordinates or downloading them from the companion, only apply that to the current dive (and again have a different place where the user can chose to copy coordinates from one dive to others, possibly those with the same name or some of those). This complicates later obtaining coordinates for many dives at the same place but again, that should not happen too often. So even when in step i) you autocompleted a site but only meant to complete a name, you can correct that later (e.g. by downloading from the companion) without hurting the data about all the other blue holes (see 2a).

I think we should differentiate between sites and names (a site is a name with a GPS fix) and if we need a site but only have a name make all occurrences of a bare name by default different sites. If the user wants to never the less copy information, that should not be too difficult using the filter and copy&paste.

As I said: Sorry if I only contributed to the noise.

Best
Robert