Location, location, location

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 06:38:14 PDT 2015

On 15 Jul 2015 11:27 pm, "Rodrigo Severo" <rodrigo at fabricadeideias.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
> <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:
> >
> > The autocompleted "Blue Corner - Create dive site with this name" is not
> > useful IMHO.  How often would you create a new site with the exact same
name
> > as one that is already existing?  I think this would only create
confusion.

> I agree with you but apparently this feature is considered VERY USEFUL
> by others.
>
> I think it's not really useful because either:
>
> 1. it's a common AND simple name like Blue Corner so why bother saving
> the trouble of retyping "Blue Corner";
> 2. it's a long and difficult to type name and so it's NOT common and
> probably won't be used twice.
>
> IMHO, the autocomplete should always autocomplete to help select an
> already existing dive site, whenever this already existing dive site
> has GPS coordinates or not. If the user doesn't use autocomplete, a
> new dive site would be created.
>
> And as Tomaz just mentioned:
>
> > Well, Take a look about linus rant from yesterday, in the other
location e-mail.
> > He stated that "There are many dive sites with same names, for instance
"Turtle Reel" or "Blue Hole" so he wanted to
> > have a way to autocomplete the name without copying the dive site
coordinates.

> The examples that Linus presented that actually repeat are common,
> small and simple. (case 1 above).
>
> That long dive site name Linus mentioned from Brazil won't ever be
> used anywhere else in the world (case 2 above).
>
> Really, autocomplete to just get the same (small and simple) name for
> a new site is silly and confusing. Autocomplete should be restricted
> to selecting an already existing dive site (which might already have
> GPS coordinates or not).

I see the benefit of the autocomplete to create a new site with the same
name as an existing site isn't so much that it saves a few keystrokes, but
that it is explicitly either creating a new site or assigning a dive to an
existing site.  It helps avoid confusion.