Location, location, location

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Jul 15 12:13:42 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
<subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:

> I mean, *really*.  Think about it.  How often do you create a new site with
> the exact same name as another one?  It's a one-in-thousand occurance.
> Compared to a pretty useful and descriptive entry with a helpful "create new
> site" button.

Umm. I'd actually have way more than this, but I've only been back a
couple of times to Maui since starting to use subsurface.. but:

  [torvalds at i7 scuba]$ grep -h 'name "' $(grep -l gps 01-Divesites/*)
| sort | uniq -c | sort -n | tail
      2 name "Reef's End, Molokini backwall"
      2 name "Shark Pit, Maui"
      2 name "Turtle Cove, Palau"
      2 name "Ulong Channel, Palau"
      3 name ""
      3 name "El Cantil"
      3 name "Molokini Crater: Reef's End"
      6 name "Divi House Reef"
      6 name "Fish Rain, Moloka'i"
      6 name "Mala Pier, Maui"

and by now, I'd want to merge the last two that I have six entries for
- and the house reef which I think was picked off the map anyway
(because the phone would have been in the locker or in my hotel room).

The ones with three fixes I'd probably merge too if they have good
fixes (reef's end at molokini I can also check visually, and as you
can see I have it a few other times under other names - I also have it
once as a drift, and ones under the name "Molokini Crater - Reefs
End"). The ones with two? Maybe. Maybe not.

There a lot more I have with just two gps fixes, and I'd almost
certainly leave them that way, unless there's some other reason why I
trust the gps (ie "oh, I can see the wreck in the satellite view")

But the "I'd probably leave them that way" wouldn't be a choice I do
when entering the dive site anyway. It would be a "divesite
management" choice - I'd love to have a manager window where I can
just merge things when I decide that "yes, that gps location is good".
That's also when I'd possibly write - or extend on - dive site notes.
So when I'm doing the "edit the dives for today", I don't want to make
that decision. I just want to add a new dive, and do divesite
management *later*.

Because gps locations really aren't that reliable. See my earlier
email about why I think you *really* should create multiple dive sites
when using the subsurface companion app (or any other gps tracker).

I've had several cases where I needed to fix up gps locations
after-the-fact. Sure, it might be just "once or twice" per dive trip,
but I'd guess that over the almost 300 dives I have with gps location,
about 5% migth be questionable. That's a high enough percentage that I
want to double-check things, and ideally have three or more entries to
really believe it's reliable.

Because even if the gps data itself is correct, maybe I screwed up the
name. It's happened.

(The other thing you should take away from that "oh, look, same dive
site multiple times" is the different spelling and layout. To the
people who say I should just write it out, and not be able to
auto-complete the name just because I want a new dive site entry, I
say "f*ck you". See above why I want auto-complete *without* it
interacting with up my gps readings or lack-thereof).

                Linus