Location, location, location

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 00:03:41 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 16 July 2015 at 16:27, Salvador Cuñat <salvador.cunat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I've to say that I use locations/companion GPS fixes in the same way
> Linus does. Whenever I get a fix, even for a point doved dozens of
> times, I like to have it paired with its dive.
>
> So Linus is not the only one in this situation, there are at least 2 of us.
> Dirk, Would you be so kind to calculate the ratio?  It's a little
> universe, I know.   ;-)

FWIW, I don't use the companion app - either I find my site using the
marble globe, or I find coordinates on the internet.  I think the app is
great if you dive from liveaboards or other boats with enough space to
swing a cat.  But 95% of my dives my phone stays in the car.  I'm either
doing shore dives, inland sinkholes or diving from crowded boats where I
wouldn't take anything aboard, except what I take in the water.  As such,
the GPS fix would be a carpark near (hopefully - dive gear is heavy) a
shore site or boat landing, or in the middle of a farmer's paddock.  I also
tend to dive the same sites multiple times, so chances are the next sites I
dive will already be in my Subsurface log.

Now I don't claim my use is representative of everybody else's.
Personally, I don't want multiple locations for different moorings on the
same site (even if I did have the GPS fixes).  But I'm not going to tell
anyone that they shouldn't use it that way, so therefore it doesn't matter
that it's really fiddly to do so.

I think the current implementation is an excellent compromise, because it's
explicit in what it's doing, and it gives you a choice of three reasonable
options. (1) type a new site name, (2) use an old site name with new
coordinates, or (3) use an old site with existing coordinates.  Any of
these options are very easy to choose, and even if you never plan to use
the second option, it doesn't make it harder to click on the second item in
a drop-down list to use the third.