Location, location, location

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 02:18:34 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I don't claim my use is representative of everybody else's.  Personally,
> I don't want multiple locations for different moorings on the same site
> (even if I did have the GPS fixes).  But I'm not going to tell anyone that
> they shouldn't use it that way, so therefore it doesn't matter that it's
> really fiddly to do so.
>
> I think the current implementation is an excellent compromise, because it's
> explicit in what it's doing, and it gives you a choice of three reasonable
> options. (1) type a new site name, (2) use an old site name with new
> coordinates, or (3) use an old site with existing coordinates.  Any of these
> options are very easy to choose, and even if you never plan to use the
> second option, it doesn't make it harder to click on the second item in a
> drop-down list to use the third.

+1

Just my 2c. form another perspective:

I use the companion app a lot.

I dove often the same site and I bring the companion app with me
always so I get dozen of gps data for the same spot.
For this reason in my current V2 xml file I have a lot of dives in the
same spot with slightly different gps points (useless) taken with
different moorings.
Now in the upcoming V3 xml file I would like to clean all this mess
unifying all these dives in one dive site with one gps fix

Neverthless there are few cases in which I like to retain different
gps point for the same spot...

- A huge wreck: sometimes I have a fix for the bow and one for the stern.
- A huge reef/shoal: slightly different fixes fro different part of it.

But actually they are uncommon cases so I strongly prefer having the
software helping me with the most common use case.
Moreover in the above cases I can easily solve the problem naming them
slightly different. i.e. "Blue Corner - South Wall" & "Blue Corner -
North Wall".