Location, location, location

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jul 16 07:28:20 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 02:17:15PM +0000, Richard DePas wrote:
> > The names that come from the companion app are made unique by Subsurface.
> > And the decision when two fixes that are XX meters apart are the same site
> > or a different site is not something that I really want to hard code in
> > either of the two apps.
>
> I believe Companion already has a user setting for considering two dive
> sites within a certain XX meters to be one dive location. I could be

There's an option to trigger by time or by distance (and for policy
reasons the two apps on iPhone and Android are different in this respect).
So yes, there is a setting that tells you not to drop a new pin based on
distance, but that's always distance from the last location. So if you
move away and come back you will get more gps fixes potentially very close
together. On a wreck with a long moring line the sway on that alone could
be enough :-)

> mistaken by this as I do not use it the same as you do by letting it run
> constantly. Typically I will manually enter the dive site when the boat
> reaches the buoy or drops anchor. But I do agree that it sounds nice to
> just let it run and then modify later.

When we first came up with the idea for the companion app Linus and I
discussed this at length and this is one of the cases where he kept
insisting that I was wrong (I only wanted the manual mode) and it took me
a while to understand what he wanted. And then, once I got it and Aurelien
implemented it, it turned out to be brilliant and I don't think I've ever
used the manual mode, since.

That's why I tend to try and listen even if I disagree with ideas. Because
I'm quite frequently wrong :-)