world peace and the perfect location editing widget

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jul 16 13:21:16 PDT 2015

Hey, you can't have everything, but one out of two isn't bad.

And with the new Subject and a new thread there's a good chance that Linus
will take a look. I also really want to know what Henrik, Davide, Rick,
Rodrigo, Salvador, Richard, Martin, Pedro and all the others who have
participated in the discussion think about this.

The result of Tomaz' and my work over the last couple of days is in
master; close to 30 commits. Daily builds have been triggered and should
have completed by the time I'm done writing this email :-)

I have spent much more time than usual on testing this to avoid another
fiasko. What that means of course is that it will crash for the first
three people who try it, will get several kittens pregnant and will
definitely delete a number of GPS fixes from Linus' dive data.

Because that's how my week has been going so far.

Anyway, this tries to do everything for everyone.

- drop down that offers TWO entries to create a new dive site (with
  current GPS, if there is any). First one creates just with the text
  typed so far (Hi Henrik), second one creates with the first completion
  (Hi Linus).
- the other entries in the drop down switch the dive to that dive site
  -- if that dive site has GPS data then this replaces whatever GPS data
     you have for the current dive; this is visualized by the globe flying
     to the new site. If you go back to one of the first two items (the
     items that create dive sites) the globe flies back to what you have
     right now (or zooms out if you have no GPS)
  -- if the dive site has NO GOS data, then your current GPS data is kept
     (again, this is appropriately visualized by the globe's behavior)

We removed the quick edit. Which means there is currently NO WAY to edit
the description and notes for a dive site and there is NO WAY TO SET a
dive location via typing in coordinates of by picking a location on the
globe, either.

This is a known shortcoming, if you need the ability to manually modify
GPS data via copy and paste or via the globe, please use 4.4.2 for now.
Tomaz is working on the full dive site edit and that will bring back this
capability.

Please respond here with your comments. I want to hear them all.

    Please keep it civil, but other than that, don't hold back.

I want to get this right. I think the current solution has some oddities,
the most annoying one is that the two lines for dive site creation waste
space and you have to scroll down to get completions, and it looks
ridiculous if you typed in the full name of an existing site because then
we have two identical entries - I gave up trying to remove one of them for
this special case. But overall I think it's a pretty good solution. I
think that for every single possible choice it is very obvious and
reasonably intuitive what will happen. I tested this against the scenarios
that Davide and I discussed and it seems to do the right thing in all
those cases.

It's possible there are scenarios I have missed - clearly I have in the
past. But I went through the many many emails and tried to cover
everything that was mentioned.

So please, give it a try and let us know what you think.

/D

PS: as expected, -1126 has completed building on Windows
Sadly the Linux packages are failing... I have to go back and investigate
but since it builds here and cross builds for Windows I'm hoping that this
is enough for most of you to give it a try. I'll kick of a Mac build as
well.