world peace and the perfect location editing widget

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jul 19 05:45:52 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 10:42:42AM +0300, Miika Turkia wrote:
> From the e-mails received, this sounds like a really cool
> implementation. However, I seem to be suffering more corner cases /
> bugs than I expected to see (but then again, I seem to be suffering
> these with all the new features of Subsurface :D). I wonder if its my
> data, OS or something else. Here are my notes from my brief testing:

If you can extract test data that helps us reproduce these, that would be
extremely helpful.

> My first test case was with incorrect GPS location from companion app
> on the new dive. I have dived the same site before with correct GPS
> information (or actually selected with an earlier version from the
> globe map). At least with this scenario, I do see two bugs in the
> current master:
>
> 1) When I change the location using the arrow keys, the globe does not
> show the new location. Otherwise, this way seems to work. *** the
> behavior of the globe is the same on the later test cases as well, but
> I do not mention it anymore ***

Can you say exactly what you mean by "the globe does not show the new
location"? It should always show the location of the highlighted
completion. Depending on how you got here exactly it is possible that it
doesn't show a flag / name for the new location, yet, but it should still
center on it.

So let's try to be precise in describing the steps to get here.

before edit starts, you have GPS data. Do you also have a name or is the
name still blank? How do you start edit? What exactly do you do? Erase the
name (assuming there is one)? Type something in? etc.

> 2) When I select the location using mouse, I actually end up getting
> the original GPS info instead of the selected one. However, this time
> the globe does reflect the location I am hovering over

Are you selecting a completion entry that has GPS info below it? Could you
make a screen video of this? Based on the way this is implemented I'm
confused how you'd be able to keep the GPS info from the displayed dive
and the new name, unless you are actually clicking on one of the top two
completions...

> Next test case had GPS coordinates on the current dive from companion
> app, but I attempted to add these coordinates to other dives done on
> the same location.
>
> 3) Arrow keys: the GPS coordinates are lost
> 4) Mouse: the new dive gets the name (GPS valid on the new dive), but
> old dives do not get the GPS info

Again, I'd love to get a more precise description of what's happening.
What was the state of the current dive before you started editing? Did it
have a name? What was the state of the those "other dives"? I assume you
are talking about multiple dives that were at the same dive site but that
dive site doesn't have GPS data?
Then what did you do?

Unless I can reproduce how things go wrong it's really hard to fix these
:-(

> It seems that when I select the completing option using the mouse, the
> current dive's coordinates are used, and keyboard selection uses the
> existing information, not info from current dive, no matter of what I
> select from the completion list.

I haven't done my full set of tests since applying the last couple of
fixes that dealt with the duplicate completions. So it is possible that
things got broken. But I am reasonably certain that I tested every single
combination of dive has GPS / doesn't have GPS and completion has GPS /
doesn't have GPS... :-(

> Additionally the UI needs some tweaking on Ubuntu (Xubuntu 15.04), as
> the attached screenshot shows. And of course the undo function should
> be implemented as well.

Umm, I can't see anything in the screen shot that is obviously wrong...
can you point out what you mean?