GSoC Status - Week 9 (Customizable prints)

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:31:33 PDT 2015

On 27 July 2015 at 18:10, Gehad Elrobey <gehadelrobey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Lubomir,
>
> This week I was working on the following tasks:
>
> - Search for templates in printing_templates directory.
> - Fix QSettingsGroup issue.
> - Make TemplateEdit dialog re-sizable.
> - Implement import,export and delete templates.
> - Add shades of blue color palette.
> - Add flow layout.
> - Add table layout.

hello Gehad,
nicely done!

here are some quick comments:

1) "Printing: get the number of pages from the full resolution"
(cosmetic) this patch has redundant braces { } around a single lined
if/then statement.

2) "Printing: remove existing values in print template combobox"
it might be a good idea to rename all bundled templates to have spaces
and first letter capitalization in the filenames - e.g.:
"One dive"
"Two dives"
"Table"
etc.

3) "Printing: support importing/exporting of templates"
i think users will find the extra window menu (Template->Import |
Export | Delete) a bit confusing.

please, move the actions as buttons in the already present "Template" QGroupBox.
attached is a mockup of how i think it should look like. enjoy my
amazing drawing "skills".

4) one commit message related advice for future cases...
it's common practice not to personalize sentences in official text
documents. this includes the Subsurface commit messages as a non-super
strict rule (TMK), but in general it's a very *clean* thing to have.

real world examples can range from everything in law papers to academia theses.

a self-explanatory GIT commit message example would be:
"Feature <X> was added in patch <SHA1>, but..."
instead of:
"User <Y> added feature <X> was added in patch <SHA1>, but..."
or:
"We/I/He/She have/has added feature <X> in patch <SHA1>, but..."

> I am still working on the following tasks:
> - Enhancing the templates.
> - Don't break dives into pages while using table/flow layout.

yeah, once these patches are pushed, having the templates as close as
what we had before becomes our highest priority.

lubomir