making remote git storage work [was Re: Subsurface ans Dropbox]

Long, Martin martin at longhome.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 07:58:52 PDT 2015

> Are there other characters that are legal?

'+' is often used as a sub-address delimiter. GMail uses it to allow you to
create 'disposable' addresses. Users may use it to create mutliple accounts
for a single GMail account.

> A quick search for patterns for
> legal email addresses was a bit inconclusive, but it seems that most of
> the "dangerous" characters are illegal in email addresses, anyway. It felt
> safer to pick the safe characters than to try to remove the unsafe ones.
> And since email addresses are already unique...

Ok, I just typed the below response, and then figured that you meant that
"_.-" where being left in, not stripped out. My bad. In that case it's
probably fine, apart from perhaps the '+' case above.

Martin

## It's only likely to be problem for people who use large email providers
- Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.
##
## You end up with:
##
## john_smith at gmail.com
## john.smith at gmail.com
## john-smith at gmail.com
## johnsmith at gmail.com
##
## all mapping to johnsmith_at_gmail.com
##
## Again, unlikely to happen, but if you implement it that way then it's
almost certainly going to crop up. ;-)