Some initial work for the new Suunto EON Steel firmware update

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Jun 8 10:09:59 PDT 2015

So Suunto started pushing out a new firmware version for the EON Steel
this month: v1.1.15.

It turns out that some of the assumptions I made about how the dive
parsing worked were wrong.

A trivial issue is that some of the type descriptors now have
terminating newlines rather than using newlines just as separators.
That just means that we need to relax the type descriptor parsing a
bit.

That's the first of the two patches here.

The bigger problem is that the "fixed" type indexes aren't actually
fixed at all, and the fact that they never changed before, and that
they had special index numbers, seems to have been just a random
artifact rather than really part of the design.

That in turn means that rather than checking the type index number, we
really do have to check the type descriptor string as the ID of the
data.

The second patch fixes the parsing of the dive header fields (in
particular, the gas mix details and transmitter ID), and re-organizes
things a bit to be easier to parse.

The reason I say this is "initial work" is that this does *not* change
the parsing of the actual samples themselves, and that still uses the
incorrect fixed index numbers. Which means that we currently get the
cylinder pressure readings wrong (rather, we don't get them at all)
with the new firmware, and we don't parse some of the new information
(like the air-time remaining).

I'll get to the actual sample data later today, I hope.

I've updated my EON, but a firmware update doesn't actually change
what the dive computer reports for old dives, so I'll have to wait
until next week before I have dives of my own to test this all with.
But thanks to Nick I have a sample dive dump showing the new data,
which is how I know we got this wrong.

              Linus