Some initial work for the new Suunto EON Steel firmware update

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Jun 8 16:25:32 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Linus Torvalds

> I'll get to the actual sample data later today, I hope.

.. and here's that third patch that converts the sample parsing to
dynamically using the actual sample type descriptions.

This includes actually parsing things like the group descriptions (ie
where one "packet type" can be defined as a group of basic types, kind
of like a limited "struct" in C). It doesn't really parse the unit
conversion descriptions, since those seem to be mainly informational,
but it does do things like sanity-check the type sizes etc.

This has so far been tested only with my old dives, but since the code
builds up the parsing tables from the descriptions, that's actually a
pretty good test in itself: instead of "knowing" what the sample
structures are like the old code did, it just worked it out itself.
The end result is identical to the old parser, with the exception that
the new parser also parses the compass heading events.

Maybe I'll remember to take the EON steel to the pool tomorrow and get
this at least partially validated that way - otherwise further testing
will wait until next week.

Please apply,

          Linus