Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Tue Jun 9 08:07:56 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> #1 From Notes > Location field (+) I can add a new dive site:
> >>
> >> - Why I should create a new divesite independently from my actual dives?
> >

> > You don't.
> > The subsurface app should create a dive site if you already have entered
> > name / lat / lon in previous versions.
> > if this doesn't happens it's a bug.
>
> If a select an existing dive and i press (+) a new divesite is created.

yes - because that's 'Add' action, if you go to menu 'Manage Dive Site' you
can edit it
without add. ( I agree that's not the best thing and I'll move it from
there. )

> >> - Why a global action is perfomed from "notes" tab of a specific dives?
> >
> > Sorry?
>
> See below.
>

> >> #2 Lof Menu > "manage dive siteS" I can only manage divesite from the
> >> current dive. How I manage divesites despite of selected dive?
> >

> > you currently don't.
>
> Ok
>

> >> For the above two points. IMHO:
> >>
> >> * Manage divesiteS form the main menu should manage the whole divesite
> >> set.
> >

> > I'm not sure there's a need for this: ( I'll add a remove button later,
> but
> > this should work : )
>
> I proposed this time ago but Dirk suggested a proper dive site management
> view.
>
> > from the notes tab you can add a new dive ( and edit, but that's on the
> menu
> > and I'll move it back to notes )
> > and also add a remove button.
> >
> > so you could do everything from the notes tab ( change dive site, create
> > dive site, edit dive site and remove dive site )
> > If you don't like this idea, I'm  up to sugestions.
> >

> > Why you don't like it?
>

> On the above comments.
>
> IMHO it's really a huge contradiction/nonsense doing all these
> operation from a button inside a note tab that is related to a
> particular dive.
> In our UI all tabs (*) contain data of the selected dive.
> * except stats tab that is already a nonsense. Infact I already
> proposed to remove that tab once somenone will start a proper
> statistic feature.
> For this reason why I should create a a new dive from another dive?
> It's like in a word processor program you place the "new document"
> button inside the current document you are editing.
>
> I'm looking at dive #451 "Barracuda Point"?
> I can edit only that dive site form that dive site UI.
>
> I need to manage my divesites?
> I switch to divesites view and I can do edit/remove/add(*) operation
> on one dive or set of dives.
>
> Regarding the "add" button I think we don't need it or we should avoid it.
> Why I should have a "template" if in my loogbook I have no actual dives on
> it?
> It's a good way to create file inconsistencies and zombie divesites
> that are created but have no user. We would need a kill command :)
> A solid logbook file should have only divesites for real dives.
>
> We could argue that when I remove all dives for a divesite I could
> decide to leave the zombie divesite for future use. But IMHO we are
> looking for troubles.
>

> Really thank yo for your huge work.

So, to summarize:
- Only add / remove  / remove dive sites from the Dive Site Management View
- on Notes: only Select the dive site  for the current dive ( and an edit
button )

That?