Dive site management on daily build 4.4.2.669

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jun 9 10:40:59 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 12:51:36PM -0300, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Benjamin <nystire at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you mean "add/edit/remove from the Dive site management view"?
> > It sounds like an interesting idea. As things stand, I can't for the life
> > of me get Subsurface to save a site for a dive. It only seems to work for
> > dive trips, which may have multiple sites spread over the trip:(
> >

> dirk?
> (this should work, as the dive site is saevd on the dive and the document
> changed flag is set )

I'll admit that I have issues parsing the discussion - I think part of
this is vague usage of terms / non-native speakers phrasing things in ways
that don't quite make sense to me (and I'm sure guilty of that in many
cases).

I'll try to define some terms and describe what I thought we were doing
and then you guys can tell me where / how that is wrong.

Selected dive(s) - that's the one or more dives selected in the dive list
that operations act on

Displayed dive - that's the ONE dive that is shown (even if more than one
dive are selected)

Current dive site - that's the dive site associated with the displayed
dive

Dive site management - the state of the UI that deals with editing the
details of a dive site.

We currently have a workflow that has two entry points into dive site
management:

- Log->Manage dive sites
  Clicking that gets us into a somewhat buggy state (Tomaz, please look
  into this): The UI shows the Apply/Discrard buttons right away, even
  with no change and the globe shows the brown "Move the map / dbl click"
  box as if there were no coordinates, even if there are coordinates in
  the dive site that is shown (which happens to be the Current dive site -
  which I think is reasonable)

- Notes tab '+' button next to the Location drop down
  This adds a dive site called "untitled" and applying changes to that
  dive site makes it look as if the new dive site would be come the
  Current dive site (i.e. the dive site of the Displayed dive), but that's
  actually just a refresh problem (again, Tomaz, please take a look). If
  you look at the dive list you see the location of the displayed dive is
  unchanged and switching to a different dive and back confirms that.

Here's my proposal what I think we SHOULD do - I would love to hear what
Davide, Hendrik and others think about this suggestion:

- Log->Manage dive sites
  Shows current dive site, but with consistent view (so not in edit mode,
  globe showing the right spot, dive list showing all dives at this site).
  There is a way to switch dive sites in this mode (this doesn't exist
  today - Tomaz removed the combo box because it seemed redundant, but I
  think we should have the Name as an editable combo box that allows to
  either edit the name or switch to a different dive site).
  All dive site data are edited here, including the name (so this is a bit
  tricky if we use a single ComboBox... how does Subsurface know if you
  are trying to switch to a different dive site or if you want to rename
  the current dive site...)
  There is '+' button to create a new dive site (which initially won't be
  linked to any dives), if and only if there is no dive linked to a dive
  site there is a 'trash' button that allows you to delete this dive site.

- Dive notes tab
  If and only if there is no dive site associated with the dive, there
  should be a '+' button that creates a new dive site and after the user
  applies the changes makes sure that the newly added dive site becomes
  the current dive site (i.e. now the displayed dive is in edit mode and
  once the user applies the change the newly created dive site is the dive
  site for the displayed dive).
  If there is a dive site, there is an 'edit' button that switches the
  user into the dive site edit mode that is identical in behavior to
  clicking Log->Manage dive sites -- this is simply a UI shortcut to make
  it easier and more intuitive to get there. If the user then makes
  changes to the current dive site and applies those (including changing
  the name) they apply to the displayed dive. But if the user adds a new
  dive site from the 'edit' mode that is NOT automatically applied to the
  displayed dive - the user needs to then switch to that new dive site
  from the drop down menu.
  I don't see any value in having a 'trash' icon on the dive notes tab -
  when would you ever need to delete a dive site from there?
  Which means there is always only one button next to the location drop
  down. Either add (if there is no dive site) or edit.

If I didn't capture a concern that was mentioned or if my work flow
doesn't make sense, please comment here, trying to use the terms that I
defined. :-)

Thanks